Business Development Manager
sustainacraft, Inc. focuses on nature-based solutions (NbS) for climate change and aims to maximize their effect through a more accurate carbon accounting system. While it is important to expand projects in forest conservation, sustainable forest management, and agriculture, it is equally imperative to ensure the transparency of such projects and the sound circulation of funds while increasing credibility.
We are currently working with environmental NGOs, financial institutions, and international development agencies in Southeast Asia, Latin America, and Europe to create a healthy financial cycle for nature conservation through two approaches: monitoring natural resources using satellite imagery and assessing appropriate reference levels using causal inference techniques.
Our Working Environment
We encourage asynchronous communication through services such as Notion, Slack, and Loom, making it possible for people to work regardless of their location. Although our day-to-day interactions are online and based on remote work, we provide an opportunity to work together in a relaxed environment near Tokyo once a week.
Members working with us come from diverse backgrounds, including consultants from professional consulting firms and foreign development banks, satellite image analysis specialists at satellite constellation companies, researchers in causal inference, and geographic information visualization specialists. Many of our members hold PhDs in engineering and economics.
Our paper, presented in collaboration with the National Institute for Environmental Studies and Hitotsubashi University, won Best Paper at the Climate Change AI Workshop at NeurIPS 2022, a top-level conference on machine learning.
Our strong R&D is a key component of our competitive edge.We also publish a regular newsletter on approaches and methodologies for forest and soil biomass estimation and project intervention effects.
※ Regarding software engineering, we need to devise various ways to process satellite remote sensing information and causal inference technology at the operational level, and we are trying to do so through trial and error while also verifying cutting-edge technology.We would like to actively communicate engineering-related information, and we welcome anyone who is interested to spread such information through our newsletters and other means.In addition to our own engineers, we are supported by experienced outsourced engineers, and we believe that this is an ideal environment where we have the opportunity to absorb various points of views and knowledge, including from outside the company.
The Business Development Manager will lead business expansion for the following solution services of sustainacraft.
Specifically, this position will
- Develop contacts with domestic and international NGOs, government agencies, and corporations
- Identify pain points related to carbon credits, forests, and natural capital
- Discuss solutions with Sustainacraft's development team
- Prepare a proposal for the completed solution, and
- Propose and sell the solution to the client.
This is a comprehensive process from client development to sales.
In addition to companies, we network with government agencies, development banks, international NGOs, and other organizations to help them formulate overseas projects and win business.Our work also includes external communication to properly convey the results to society.
We are looking for
- A person who is interested in the latest developments in carbon credits and collects information on a daily basis.
- A person who can design and promote his/her own research, even in areas where there are few leads/knowledge.
- A person who can document his/her findings and share them with the entire organization on a daily basis.
- A person who can proactively develop a new client base, accurately communicate our technology, and generate leads.
- 3+ years of experience in a consulting firm or similar organization
- Experience in study design and implementation, documentation, and project management
- Experience in carbon neutral or nature positive related work/projects
- English proficiency (business level; expected to take initiative in negotiations and discussions with overseas organizations)
※If you do not meet all of the above requirements, but are still interested, we would be happy to hear from you.
- Experience in sales and marketing
- Experience with natural resource conservation related NGOs (e.g. Conservation International, The Nature Conservancy), forestry related agencies (e.g. FAO, ITTO), research institutions
- Knowledge and experience in forest, peatland and paddy field operations, GHG emissions estimation and biodiversity observation
- Knowledge and research experience with satellite missions and sensors (GEDI, PALSAR, MOLI, HISUI, GRACE, etc.)
Application screening → First interview → Final interview
※Please note that the number of screening may increase or decrease.
※ We are also looking for involvement on an outsourcing basis, so please feel free to contact us.
(6 months is a probationary period; benefits remain the same during the probationary period)
Estimated annual salary
- For senior level: 8-12.5 million yen + stock options
- For junior level: 5-8 million yen + stock options
(stock option: to be adjusted separately upon issuance)
- Flexible working hours (no core time) or discretionary work system applicable upon arrangement
- Remote work style
※If you live in the Tokyo area, we recommend 1-2 face to face work sessions per week
Once a year
(based on individual and company performance)
2 days off per week, national holidays, paid vacations, year-end and New Year vacations, condolence leave
Benefits and welfare
- Health insurance, welfare pension, employment insurance, worker's compensation insurance
- Transportation expenses: fully paid
- Subsidy system for training and purchase of books, display monitors, etc. necessary for work
- Subsidy system for acquiring qualifications
- Health checkups and gynecological examinations covered